Here follows the Original NES GB1 game's documentation kindly transcribed by Paul Rudoff:"Ghostbusters"
(came with the original NES game)
- Player's Guide written by John Crompton.
- Editorial management by Laura Singer.
- Production by Glenn Hills Graphics Co.
- Player's Guide (c) 1988 Mediagenic
- Player's Guide transcribed by Paul Rudoff
- Ecto-Web formatting by Raffaele "BiggBoss" Ruffaldi
Hey, Anybody Seen a Ghost?
As a matter of fact, zillions of ghosts are winging their way towards spook central right this minute, The future of your Ghostbusters franchise, New York City, and all of civilization depends on you. You'll need courage, stamina, and a whole lot of luck to avert a paranormal disaster of biblical proportions. So go ahead. Show these silly slimers how it's done downtown!
Press the SELECT button to temporarily stop the game. Press it again to continue play.
- Insert the cartridge into your Nintendo Entertainment System.
- Turn on your game system and TV or monitor. The title screen will appear.
- Press the START button to begin the game.
Directional Control Pad
[UP] -- At City Map Scene, moves Ghostbuster up. At Road Scene, increases your car's speed.
[RIGHT] -- Moves Ghostbuster or car to the right.
[DOWN] -- At City Map Scene. Moves Ghostbuster down. At Road Scene, decreases your car's speed.
[LEFT] -- Moves Ghostbuster or car to the left.
- City Map Scene -- Use it along with the Control Pad to enter a building.
- Shop Scene --Press to buy or sell ghost-catching gear.
- Road Scene -- Press to suck up "roamers" on the street.
- Building Scene -- Press to drop Traps and launch Beams.
- Stairway Scene -- Move forward by pressing repeatedly.
- Final Scene -- Press to launch Beam at Gozer.
- City Map Scene -- Press to see what's loaded in your ectomobile. Press again to resume play.
- Road Scene -- Press to see your money level.
- Shop Scene -- Press to select items to sell.
- Building Scene -- Press to move right Ghostbuster.
- Stairway Scene -- Press to open doors on each level.
Your Ghostbusters Franchise
The bank has loaned you $10,000 to start your own Ghostbusters franchise. Earn enough money busting ghosts before their dangerous PK energy reaches critical mass at 9999.
After you press the START Button. The City Map Scene appears. You can't bust ghosts without equipment, so go directly to the Shop. Guide the Ghostbusters symbol to the front of the Shop by using your Control Pad. Once in front of the Shop, direct the Control Pad arrow towards the building while pressing the A Button at the same time.
You're now driving on the perilous streets of New York City. Maneuver the ectomobile using the Control Pad. Beware of other cars -- hitting other cars can cost you big bucks!
The distance to the building is displayed on the lower left of the screen. On the lower right, your fuel level is shown.
You can replenish your fuel supply by driving over the red drums. If you run out of gas, your car is pushed to the gas station. Your bank account is charged for any fuel that you buy. After your fuel supply is replenished, you're returned to the City Map Scene to begin your journey again.
Once you reach the Shop. You can choose from a wide variety of ghost-catching gear, including:
|Ghost Vacuum -- $2,500|
Sucks up roamers on the streets.
|Ghost Food -- $2,000|
Use as bait to lure the stairway ghosts.
|Sound Generator -- $100,000|
Slows down ghosts on stairway.
|Anti-Ghost Suit -- $20,000|
Provides added protection on the stairs.
|Capture Beam -- $3,000|
Freezes ghosts in mid-air.
|Capture Trap -- $1,000|
Use to catch and store slimers.
|Hyper Beam -- $12,000|
Generates higher laser streams.
|Super Trap -- $6,000|
Increased capacity to hold more ghosts.
|Ghost Alarm -- $2,000|
Alerts you to paranormal activity from a distance.
Items are listed on two separate screens. Use down arrow to view second screen.
To buy any of the gear, direct the marker to the item you want by using the Control Pad. And then press the A Button. You may purchase only four different items, with a maximum of three traps. You'll need a Beam in order to enter a ghost-infested building.
To sell any of the equipment, press the B Button to move the marker to the right (car) side, use the Control Pad to select your items, and press the A Button to complete the sale. You receive only 50% of the original value of an item when you sell it.
Once you've completed your shopping spree, press the START button to return to the City Map Scene.
(Hint: It's best to purchase these items first. Ghost Vacuum, Capture Beam, Capture Traps.)
Now that you've got your gear, you're ready to bust some ghosts! The ghosts reside in the flashing red buildings at the City Map Scene. Without a Ghost Alarm, you'll need to drive past the buildings to see the red flash. Use the Control Pad to guide the symbol towards the haunted habitat. Along the way, be sure to freeze the yellow "roamers" by driving over them. If you've purchased a Ghost Vacuum, you'll be able to capture the roamers when you take to the streets again.
You can get to the site of the ghostly disturbance by aiming your Control Pad arrow towards the flashing red building while pressing the A Button.
Once you arrive at the building, two Ghostbusters appear on the screen carrying a trap. Decide on the location of the trap and set it by pressing the A Button. Move the left Ghostbuster into position using the Control Pad. Now. press the B Button and use the Control Pad to move the right Ghostbuster.
Launch your Beams by pressing the A Button and attempt to lure the ghosts directly over the trap. You can manuever the right Ghostbuster and his Beam by pressing the B Button first. Once you've got the ghosts over your trap, press the A Button one last time to absorb the evil slimers. But hurry! The ghosts will escape if given enough time.
The Dreaded Zuul
You must enter the Temple of Zuul if the message "ENTER ZUUL BUILDING" appears on the bottom of the City Map Scene.
Once inside, you'll need to climb the stairs to the 22nd floor. Move your men forward by repeatedly pressing the A Button. Beware of the ghosts on the stairs! If touched, they can be deadly!
If you have Ghost Food with you. press the START Button to place it. Ghost Food lures the spirits to the location you have selected By pressing the B Button, you can open the doors at each level.
When you reach the 22nd floor, you'll go head-to-head with the ferocious Gozer. Your only hope for survival is to launch your Beam by pressing the A Button. While battling Gozer, use the down arrow on your Control Pad to see the monstrous Marshmallow Man climbing up the building. If this sticky enemy reaches the top of the building before you've destroyed Gozer, say goodbye to your Ghostbusters franchise, New York City, and all of civilization!
Out of Business
The game ends in one of six ways:
- You run out of gas and have no money in your account to buy fuel.
- The Marshmallow Man appears on the City Map Scene and you have less than $10,000.
- You touch the ghosts on the stairs 3 times. (9 times if you have a ghost suit.)
- You are defeated by Gozer and her ghostly henchmen.
- The Marshmallow Man reaches the top of the building before you can destroy Gozer.
- You destroy Gozer with your powerful Beam and save civilization!
- Don't waste time exploring the City Map Scene. The more you explore, the more mileage you'll have to travel when you take to the streets.
- Don't drive too fast! You'll miss fuel drums and roamers.
- Make sure you're well equipped when you enter Zuul. Things get a little nasty at spook central. (At a minimum, you should have Ghost Food with you when you enter Zuul.)
- If your controller has a turbo feature, use the turbo buttons to quickly climb the stairs in Zuul.